Do I need tickets?
- No, tickets will not be required.
Where do I register/check in?
- Graduates are asked to check-in at the Basketball Practice Facility (BPF) for ceremonies at the Coliseum and in the Gladys Davis Theater at the Canady Creative Arts Center 60 minutes prior to ceremony time.
What is the appropriate graduation attire?
- All graduates must wear academic regalia (cap and gown). The only substitution
for the cap and gown is military dress.
- Official WVU regalia is available at the
WVU Bookstore locations and online at
Herff Jones. Please purchase all caps, gowns, tassels and hoods prior to
Commencement. No regalia will be sold at the venues.
- Honors graduates should check the information at the Honors graduation page.
Where can I find honor cords, stoles, medallions, etc.?
- Graduates who have earned cum laude, magna cum laude or summa cum laude honors will be presented with an honor cord from their school or college prior to Commencement. They will not be available at check-in on Commencement day.
- Military honor cords may be obtained by service members who show proof of service at the WVU Veterans Office. Graduating military personnel who choose to wear full military dress to their Commencement ceremony may obtain these cords as a keepsake from WVU in tribute to their service.
- Any adornments given by academic organizations will be distributed by those organizations. Unapproved adornments are not permitted.
What color tassel or hood do I wear with my gown?
- The Herff Jones color guide will help you identify the correct color selection for tassels and hoods. If your specific major is not listed, staff at the WVU Bookstore can assist you. Contact you school or college for guidance.
- If you are a double major, you should wear the color of the highest degree you are receiving. If your degrees are of equal ranking, wear the color of the group with whom you are seated.
How do I apply for Honors recognition if I have been a part of the Honors program?
- Applying to graduate from WVU this May? That's great! Students who have previously completed the Honors Foundations program and students currently on track to complete the Honors EXCEL program should complete the Honors Recognition Form by Monday, March 27, 2023. If you have not received the form link, please email Vickie Sigley .
- After completing the Honors Recognition Form, you will also need to complete the online Honors Pre-Exit Interview Form. Vickie Sigley will email you a link to the form on Monday, April 3, 2023. The deadline to complete this form is Friday, April 28, 2023.
- The Pre-Exit Interview Form will consist of a series of demographic questions. Upon the submission of your pre-exit form, you will have completed the Honors Graduation Process.
Where do I stay in Morgantown?
- There are many hotels in and around Morgantown that can make your graduation experience a memorable one. Please visit the Mountaineer Country Visitors' Bureau to find a hotel that suits your visiting needs.
- There are also a limited number of dorm rooms on campus. Please contact Housing Conferences and Reservations at 304-293-2790 for more information.
When will I receive my diploma?
- Diplomas will be mailed in the weeks following the degree conferral. Students will receive an email to their MIX account when the diploma is shipped, if the student does not have any financial holds. Tracking numbers will not be available. If a diploma is being mailed to an address outside of the United States it may take an additional 4-6 weeks for delivery. For questions concerning your diploma, please contact the Office of the University Registrar at 304-293-5355.
What should I do if my diploma arrives damaged or is lost in the mail?
- Students must notify the Office of the University Registrar at Registrar@mail.wvu.edu regarding issues with their diploma within four months of their degree conferral date. Failure to notify the Office of the University Registrar of diploma issues within this time frame may result in replacement diploma fees and fall under all policies associated with ordering a replacement diploma.
Where do I park for the ceremony?
- Guests will be directed where to park when they enter the Coliseum parking lot and Canady Creative Arts Center. Signs will be posted and Parking staff and University Police will be on site directing traffic. Guests displaying a handicap accessible placard will be directed to the designated lots.
How long does the ceremony last?
- The ceremonies are expected to last approximately two hours.
What time do the doors open?
- Gates and doors will open approximately 60 minutes prior to the ceremony start
Is there reserved seating?
- No, seats are on a first come, first serve basis.
Do I have to participate in the Commencement ceremony?
- You are not required to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Why wasn’t my name in the program?
- Names listed in WVU Commencement programs are taken from applications for graduation made to the WVU Office of the University Registrar by students who have completed all of the degree requirements necessary to graduate. WVU Commencement programs are not an official record of degrees awarded or inclusive of all individuals who participate in the University’s Commencement exercises. Questions regarding inclusion should be directed to the WVU school or college granting the degree.
Can I walk in the May Commencement ceremony even if I'm not officially graduating until August or December?
- Students are encouraged to participate in the ceremony closest to their actual graduation date. Exceptions to this should be directed to the dean of the school you are graduating from.