Do I need tickets?
- For December and May commencement, family and guests of a graduate do not need
tickets. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Where do I register/check in?
- For December graduation, graduates must report to the Coliseum’s 3rd floor level above the Country Roads Gate one hour before the ceremony to check-in and receive instructions for line-up. Please visit the December ceremony page for the date and time of your graduation ceremony.
- For May graduation, details on check in will be announced based on your college’s assigned date, time and location of graduation. Please visit the May ceremony page for the date, time and location of your graduation ceremony.
What is the appropriate graduation attire?
- All graduates must wear academic regalia (cap and gown). The only substitution
for the cap and gown is military dress.
- Official WVU regalia is available at the
WVU Bookstore locations and online at
Herff Jones. Please purchase all caps, gowns, tassels and hoods prior
to Commencement. No regalia will be sold at the venues.
Where can I find honor cords, stoles, medallions, etc.?
- Graduates who have earned cum laude, magna cum laude or summa cum laude honors will be presented with an honor cord from their school or college prior to Commencement.
- Military honor cords may be obtained by service members who show proof of service at the WVU Veterans Office. Graduating military personnel who choose to wear full military dress to their Commencement ceremony may obtain these cords as a keepsake from WVU in tribute to their service.
- Any adornments given by academic organizations will be distributed by those organizations. Unapproved adornments are not permitted.
What color tassel or hood do I wear with my gown?
- The Herff Jones color guide will help you identify the correct color selection for tassels and hoods. If your specific major is not listed, staff at the WVU Bookstore can assist you. Contact you school or college for guidance.
- If you are a double major, you should wear the color of the highest degree you are receiving. If your degrees are of equal ranking, wear the color of the group with whom you are seated.
Where do I stay in Morgantown?
- There are many hotels in and around Morgantown that can make your graduation experience a memorable one. Please visit the Mountaineer Country Visitors' Bureau to find a hotel that suits your visiting needs.
- There are also a limited number of dorm rooms on campus. Please contact Housing Conferences and Reservations at 304-293-2790 for more information.
When will I receive my diploma?
- Diplomas will be mailed in the weeks following the degree conferral. Students will receive an email to their MIX account when the diploma is shipped, if the student does not have any financial holds. Tracking numbers will not be available. If a diploma is being mailed to an address outside of the United States it may take an additional 4-6 weeks for delivery. For questions concerning your diploma, please contact the Office of the University Registrar at 304-293-5355.
What should I do if my diploma arrives damaged or is lost in the mail?
- Students must notify the Office of the University Registrar at Registrar@mail.wvu.edu regarding issues with their diploma within four months of their degree conferral date. Failure to notify the Office of the University Registrar of diploma issues within this time frame may result in replacement diploma fees and fall under all policies associated with ordering a replacement diploma.
Where do I park for the ceremony?
- Parking will be available at the venue where the ceremony is being held. Parking
is on a first-come, first-served basis. If the lots become full, you will be
directed to an overflow lot on the Evansdale campus. Please see
parking maps here. If you have any parking questions or concerns, please
contact University Events at 304-293-7132.
How long does the ceremony last?
- The ceremonies are expected to last approximately between one-and-a-half to two hours.
What time do the doors open?
- Doors for the ceremony will open approximately one hour before the ceremony. Should
you arrive any earlier, please be aware another ceremony may not be finished
and you may have difficulty parking.
Is there reserved seating?
- Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis for graduation ceremonies.
- Guests who require accessible seating will also be served on a first-come, first-served basis. Once you have arrived at the graduation venue, accessible seating ushers will assist you to the designated seating areas. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Do I have to participate in the Commencement ceremony?
- You are not required to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Why wasn’t my name in the program?
- Names listed in WVU Commencement programs are taken from applications for graduation made to the WVU Office of the University Registrar by students who have completed all of the degree requirements necessary to graduate. WVU Commencement programs are not an official record of degrees awarded or inclusive of all individuals who participate in the University’s Commencement exercises. Questions regarding inclusion should be directed to the WVU school or college granting the degree.
Can I walk in the December Commencement ceremony even if I'm not officially graduating until May?
- Students are encouraged to participate in the ceremony closest to their actual graduation date. Exceptions to this should be directed to the dean of the school you are graduating from.