Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need tickets?
For December and May commencement, family and guests of a graduate do not need
tickets. Seating is on a first come, first serve basis.
Where do I register/check in?
- For December graduation graduates must report to the Coliseum’s 2nd level Country Roads Gate one hour before the ceremony to check-in and receive instructions for line-up.
- For May graduation details on check in will be announced based on your college’s assigned date, time, and location of graduation. Please visit the May Ceremony page for the date, time, and location of your graduation ceremony.
What is the appropriate graduation attire?
All graduates must wear academic regalia (cap and gown). The only substitution
for the cap and gown is military dress.
Official WVU regalia is available at the WVU Bookstore locations and online at
Please purchase all caps, gowns, tassels, and hoods prior to Commencement. No
regalia will be sold at the venues.
Where can I find honor cords, stoles, medallions, etc.?
Graduates who have earned cum laude, magna cum laude
or summa cum laude
honors will be presented with an honor cord from their school or college
prior to Commencement.
Military honor cords may be obtained by service members who show proof of service
at the WVU Veterans Office. Graduating military personnel who choose to wear full military dress to their
Commencement ceremony may obtain these cords as a keepsake from WVU in
tribute to their service.
Any adornments given by academic organizations will be distributed by those organizations.
Unapproved adornments are not permitted.
What color tassel or hood do I wear with my gown?
The Herff Jones color guide
will help you identify the correct color selection for tassels and hoods.
If your specific major is not listed, staff at the WVU Bookstore can assist
you. Contact you school or college for guidance.
If you are a double major, you should wear the color of the highest degree you are receiving. If your
degrees are of equal ranking, wear the color of the group with whom you are
Where do I stay in Morgantown?
There are many hotels in and around Morgantown that can make your graduation experience
a memorable one. Please visit the
Visitors Bureau to find a hotel that suits your visiting needs.
- There are also a limited number of dorm rooms on campus. Please contact Housing Conferences and Reservations at 304-293-2790 for more information.
When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas will be mailed in the weeks following the degree conferral. Students
will receive an email to their MIX account when the diploma is shipped,
if the student does not have any financial holds. Tracking numbers will not
be available. If a diploma is being mailed to an address outside of the United
States it may take an additional 4-6 weeks for delivery. For questions concerning
your diploma, please contact the
Office of the University Registrar
- Students must notify the Office of the University Registrar at Registrar@mail.wvu.edu regarding issues with their diploma within 4 months of their degree conferral date. Failure to notify the Office of the University Registrar of diploma issues within this timeframe may result in replacement diploma fees and fall under all policies associated with ordering a replacement diploma.
Where do I park for the ceremony?
Parking will be available at the Coliseum for ceremonies held at that venue. Parking
is on a first come, first serve basis. Parking will also be
available at the Creative Arts Center, and lots on the Evansdale campus. Please
parking maps here
if you have any parking questions or concerns, please contact University Events
How long does the ceremony last?
The ceremonies are expected to last approximately between one-and-a-half to two hours.
What time do the doors open?
Doors for the ceremony will open approximately one hour before the ceremony.
Is there reserved seating?
Seating is on a first come, first serve basis for graduation ceremonies.
Guests who require accessible seating will also be served on a first come, first served basis. Once you have arrived at the graduation venue, accessible seating ushers will assist you to the designated seating areas. Any questions please email email@example.com.
Do I have to participate in the Commencement ceremony?
You are not required to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Why wasn’t my name in the program?
- Names listed in WVU Commencement programs are taken from applications for graduation made to the WVU Office of the University Registrar by students who have completed all of the degree requirements necessary to graduate. WVU Commencement programs are not an official record of degrees awarded or inclusive of all individuals who participate in the University’s Commencement exercises. Questions regarding inclusion should be directed to the WVU school or college granting the degree.
- Students are encouraged to participate in the ceremony closest to their actual graduation date. Exceptions to this should be directed to the dean of the school you are graduating from.