You must complete the following steps before you are allowed to graduate:
Apply to graduate
All students must first apply to graduate. Follow the instructions on how to apply to graduate on the Registrar’s website.
Register to Walk
After you’ve applied to graduate, tell us if you would like to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- May graduates – Register to walk through your college’s website.
- August and December Graduates – Register on this website. You will receive more information through the email address you provided on your graduation application.
Order required cap, gown and other optional graduation products (announcements, invitations, etc.)
Official WVU regalia is available at the two WVU Bookstore locations and online at Herff Jones. Please purchase all caps, gowns, tassels and hoods prior to the day of your ceremony as no regalia will be sold at the venue. See our Commencement Attire page for more information about attire requirements.
Check for any outstanding fees and holds (unpaid parking tickets, overdue library books, fees, etc.)
Students are not allowed to graduate if there are any unpaid fees. Make sure you are set to graduate by following these steps:
- Navigate to portal.wvu.edu
- Log in with your WVU ID and Password
- Select the “STAR” tab from the home screen
- Click on “Student Services and Housing”
- Click on “Student Records”
- Select the “View Holds” option
* To resolve holds, students will need to contact the office, the “Originator” listed, who has placed the hold on their account.
Check your Mountie Bounty balance
If you still have a Mountie Bounty balance 125 days after you graduate, you will be charged a $10 account processing fee. To avoid this, check your balance and either spend those funds or request a refund.