December Commencement ceremonies will take place December 18 with COVID-19 restrictions in effect. Only registered graduates will be able to enter the basketball practice facility for check-in.
Before the Ceremony
- Check the ceremony schedule for the day and time of your ceremony.
- Review the Clear Bag Policy. Purses, backpacks, etc. cannot be brought into the venue.
- The ceremony will last approximately two (2) hours.
- Appropriate, comfortable footwear is highly recommended.
- Park in designated areas. University Police and Parking staff will direct you to designated areas.
- Handicap accessible parking is available with a visible placard or upon request when you arrive.
- Shuttles will be available.
- Graduates: Check in 60 minutes before your ceremony at the basketball practice facility ajacent to the Country Roads Gate. Only registered participants and faculty are permitted inside.
Guests: Doors will open 60 minutes before each ceremony. Enter through any of the four available gates. Seating is on a first come, first serve basis.
During the Ceremony
Follow all safety guidelines. Masks are recommended but not required for vaccinated individuals. Unvaccinated individuals are requested to wear a mask properly at all times.
- Restrooms and concessions will be open. Concessions will sell non-alcoholic beverages only (no food). Please limit your time in the concourse areas and enclosed spaces within the Coliseum.
Guests should not approach the stage
to take photos, present gifts or congratulate graduates.
- Need assistance? Ask a WVU volunteer. Look for University volunteers wearing WVU lanyards if you have questions. Volunteers will be stationed at Guest Services tables at the Blue Gate.
- Lost and Found: Call 304-293-7132. Items will be kept for 90 days.
- View live ceremonies at webcast.wvu.edu.
- GradImages will provide photography. Graduates will receive an email with a link, within 48 hours but usually sooner, to their photos and can buy prints if they choose.
Coliseum Procedure for Graduates
- University Marshals will guide graduates to sit with their college on the event floor. Graduates will be called up by college to walk up on stage as their name is read to receive their diploma cover and have a photo taken on stage and again before heading back to their seat.
- Masks are recommended but not required for vaccinated individuals. Unvaccinated individuals are requested to wear a mask properly at all times.
- All graduates who have earned hoods will be hooded. Hoods will be carried in, draped over the left arm. Hooders should process in and sit with the graduate they are hooding. Faculty are required to wear regalia to participate.
- When the ceremony concludes, graduates will be directed back up the steps to the concourse and may exit to the outside through any of the four gates.
- Graduates and guests will be dismissed at the same time.